Tallow!

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 22:55:00 EST

Joe writes:
>IMHO, there are two substances that have no place in piano work: 1. Tallow
>2. Graphite.

   Greetings,
   I would like to respectfully offer two examples for consideration.
Graphite is unsurpassed in my experience for the una corda spring contant
points and the balance glide dowel inserts in the keybed.  I have used
others, and many work, but none seem as durable as burnished
graphite,especially if clean grain has been opened prior to application.
   Also,  I have a small tin of pure tallow and have found nothing to come
close to its efficiency in quieting the keyframe pins moving in Steinway
cheekblocks.  It even begins to create a faint hint of green on the brass
plates, but it is quieter than anything else I have found.
   In these uses, they have both worked so well, I just can't see giving them
up.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT