Slick Key Bushings.

Sat, 06 Apr 2002 13:07:02 +0200

David Love wrote:

> Assuming proper flange pinning, I don't think you can reduce friction too
> much.  Certainly not by lubricating key pins and knuckles.
>
> David Love

Well David... thats sort of what I assumed.... excepting making sure the key
pins were nice and polished...especially with no corrosion. I didnt really think
that the "slickness" of the bushings could mean anything significant unless you
were pushing the borders of how tight a fit around the pin they have... but boy
was that wrong.

You would just have to experience it I guess.  Find a decent well used grand and
exert a lot of sideways pressure on a key whilst you push it downwards. If you
feel it draging.... well you shouldnt ...grin. Take such an action and play it a
bit trying to be aware of how any sideways drag feels... prejudice yourself as
it were if you get my meaning... then dissassemble to get to the key pins and
key bushings and polish and lubricate them and add a drop or two of Maclube or
Protek to each bushing. Then reassemble and play again.

Friction measured ala (DW-UW) / 2 may not change much..... but friction as
experienced by real playing changes a whale of a lot.  You try....you like... :)

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.