Tallow/Graphite/Bridges Question

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sat, 6 Apr 2002 08:49:45 -0800

Dale,
The question: What do I suggest you put on the bridges? NOTHING! A lot of
European Pianos have nothing on the top of their bridges and we oh and aw
about them! I think we just got used to seeing something there, so have
continued to do so. The lubricity of steel against hardwood is more than
sufficient to render the tension throughout the length of the string, IMHO.
When I make bridges for other techs, do I put graphite on them? Yes. But
only because it is expected and I am, after all, reproducing what was
already there. The only reason to use a dark substance on a bridge is that
it is easier to see where the termination point should be, when chiseling
the termination.
Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)