Tallow!

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 00:21:46 EDT

In a message dated 07/04/02 11:35:48 PM, Duplexdan@AOL.COM writes:

<< If we accept the opinion that tallow and graphite are to be avoided,
notwithstanding Ed Foote's succesful use of it in certain applications, what
substitutes would you recommend in those cases he quotes? >>

Dan;
 In my opinion we should not accept the opinion that tallow and graphite
should be avoided. Like all lubricants both of these can be misused and
abused.
ANY lubricant/suface prep that is misused and abused should be avoided. There
was a question as to whether tallow should be used on knuckles and the answer
to that is 'no'....... as for graphite on knuckles...... well if it is the
stick/powder graphite, and used sparingly, there can be a significant and
more or less permanent change in the friction level therein..........all of
my new knuckles get a 'spare' wipe of graphite before anything else happens
to them....as a final touch to the knuckles they all also get a coating
brushed in of micro-fine teflon...... a very good combination. ANY
combination of vasoline/tallow/gunk and graphite has no place on
knuckles...period...that is not to say that there are not applications where
such as VJ lube is the/a lube of choice.

  Are there "substitutes" for graphite/tallow... yes, there are many and you
will find there are advocates of each who will swear that their concoction is
the best..period...well they all can't be right. :-) Try the ones,
substitutes, that are available and use each judiciously and with common
sense and you won't go wrong, i.e., don't put permanently gunky stuff on felt
or leather, etc.......

 Another place where 'gunky' graphite stuff should not be used is in the
lubrication of repetition springs...if you have ever cleaned up an old set
and noticed the extreme difference than you know why I say this... :-)
Just my opinion.
 Jim Bryant (FL)