plate plugging

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Mon, 08 Apr 2002 17:00:14 +0000

Hi David,
          I think you will find that the high tension of the low bass
notes, has more to do with the problem.  Having said that, there is not a
lot of wood surrounding that pin. Get a good plug cutter, and plug with
some spare pin block material.  I think Pianotech sells pin block plugs???
but I am not sure.

regards Roger

At 06:17 PM 4/8/02 -0400, you wrote:
>List,
>
>When tuning yet another Steinway grand with a loose A-0 tuning pin, I was
>daydreaming about ways this problem could be corrected during rebuilding.
>It seems to me that the reason behind the problem is that the tuning pin is
>way too close to the flange edge of the block.  I thought that reconfiguring
>the pattern of the lowest four tuning pins to be staggered instead of in a
>straight line would fix things just fine.  Well, drilling new holes in the
>plate before regilding would not be that big a problem, BUT...   How, or
>with what do I plug the original holes?  I would prefer the original holes
>to really  "disappear" for cosmetic reasons.
>
>Has anyone done/thought about doing this?   And, does anyone else think this
>would be a good thing to do?
>
>Dave Foster

Roger Jolly
Balwin Yamaha Piano Centres.