A not so boring, boring dilemma

Mon, 8 Apr 2002 22:03:29 -0700

I'm rehammering an old Bechstein (c.1900).  The old hammers are hung at =
between 93-95 degrees to compensate for short boring due to a greater =
than average distance from the hammer flange centers to the strings.  =
For example, in the center of the piano, the string height would =
necessitate a=20
2-1/4" bore.  In fact, in the treble and tenor sections alone the bore =
distance varies by 1/4".  Because the hammers that I would like to use =
(primary tonal selection, secondary weight selection), even with extra =
long moldings, will not accommodate that bore distance and still leave a =
1" tail length, I am considering not quite duplicating the obtuse angles =
present in the existing action to get the hammers at 90 degrees to the =
strings, but rather uniformly short boring everything so that the obtuse =
angle will be consistent from section to section and the shanks' rise =
above parallel to the strings will also be uniform.   Is there any =
compelling reason to avoid this arrangement?  What is the maximum angle =
or maximum rise of the shank beyond parallel that you would consider =
before problems might arise?  And what sort of problems might those be?

David Love