Has anyone ever heard of a "Jazz" tuning?

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 07:48:27 +0200

Hi, Dave and Juliet

I would tune the bass so the third partial (sol a twelfth above do) is =
quite in tune.  This would cause the fifth partial (mi) to be less in =
tune, but in jazzy alterated chords, this is much less a problem than in =
the perfect chords of classical music.  What you get then is a much =
stronger feel of solid basement for dissonant harmony, interesting for =
letting the dissonances sing, without loosing the feel of tonality too =
much.

Just my own opinion, no more.

By the way, I like very much the sound of Keith Jarrett recordings.  =
This sounds not only like ET, but mostly like Keith Jarrett.  A friend =
of mine did a very clear demonstration that on any temperament (between =
reasonable limits), you can make any chord sound very harmonious or very =
awful, just by mixing differently the volumes of the notes you are =
playing, and controlling carefully their brillance.

St=E9phane Collin.
  ----- Original Message -----=20