Has anyone ever heard of a "Jazz" tuning?

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 09:45:23 EDT

davidlovepianos@earthlink.net (David Love)
 writes:

> In
> contrast to what Mr. Bremmer has suggested, I think jazz is best served by
> ET.  Maintaining the continuity of character of altered chords in various
> keys, I think, is a benefit that is served not only by an equal temperament,
> but from one that is not overly stretched.  A cleaner tuning will keep the
> thirds more in check so that the dissonances brought out by the liberal use
> of 2nd's, 9ths, 7ths, etc.,  will bring more color and contrast

Well, in spite of this opinion, I've used HT's and the EBVT with Tempered
Octaves for Jazz for 15 years, never having once heard a complaint about it
but instead, praise for how "in tune" and clear the music sounds.  ET will do
what it does to all other music:  neutralize all harmony.  Yes, some people
are used to this and like it.  But a well chosen HT or my EBVT give the music
a texture which most people will prefer.  The insistance upon ET by
technicians who adhere to the one and only, no option ideas taught for the
entire 20th Century as being correct forces a particular sound upon the piano
and the music which is not supported by the music itself.

Minimal stretch will make the treble sound dull, flat and uninteresting to
the audience for Jazz as it would many other types of music.  Circumstances
vary and stretch can, of course be overdone.  A closely miked piano for a
recording is one circumstance, a noisy nightclub is another.

Recently, I was the technician for a new Jazz CD which will be on the market
soon.  I used the EBVT with Tempered octaves.  The musicians were all from
New York and praised the "crystal clear" sound of the 2 pianos used.  I would
not hesitate to offer this kind of tuning in contrast to ET with minimally
stretched octaves for any kind of music, no matter what it is.  It would
appeal to most people over ET by a very comfortable margin in any and all
circumstances.  Over a decade of trial and experience has confirmed this.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin