Has anyone ever heard of a "Jazz" tuning?

Jason Kanter jkanter@rollingball.com
Tue, 09 Apr 2002 07:48:17 -0700

Jarrett likes Werckmeister. See this interesting, though flawed, article
(the reporter didn't understand much of what Jarrett said about
temperaments)...

http://www.culturekiosque.com/jazz/miles/rhemile13.htm

.  jason kanter . jkanter@rollingball.com . training consulting services
.  sales & service competency training . classroom & web-based
.  in bellevue: 425 562 4127 . cell 425 830 1561 . fax 425 562 4132
.  14847 ne 14th st . bellevue wa 98007
.  on orcas: 360 376 2799 . 136 perch tree lane . eastsound wa 98245

From: St=E9phane Collin <collin.s@skynet.be>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 07:48:27 +0200
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Re: Has anyone ever heard of a "Jazz" tuning?

Hi, Dave and Juliet
=20
I would tune the bass so the third partial (sol a twelfth above do) is quit=
in tune.  This would cause the fifth partial (mi) to be less in tune, but i=
jazzy alterated chords, this is much less a problem than in the perfect
chords of classical music.  What you get then is a much stronger feel of
solid basement for dissonant harmony, interesting for letting the
dissonances sing, without loosing the feel of tonality too much.
=20
Just my own opinion, no more.
=20
By the way, I like very much the sound of Keith Jarrett recordings.  This
sounds not only like ET, but mostly like Keith Jarrett.  A friend of mine
did a very clear demonstration that on any temperament (between reasonable
limits), you can make any chord sound very harmonious or very awful, just b=
mixing differently the volumes of the notes you are playing, and controllin=
carefully their brillance.
=20
St=E9phane Collin.