Quick action lubrication:

BobDavis88@AOL.COM BobDavis88@AOL.COM
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 13:07:24 EDT

antares@EURONET.NL writes:

> That's why clp-ing and lubing all centers and all friction causing parts in
>  general is a dangerous matter.....the action turns into a very slippery
>  slide.

So I have always thought, but...

Last week I had the delightful experience of going to the Steinway factory,
along with the Dean and two pianists from our Conservatory, to select a D and
two B's. Steinway is leaning lately towards a very low friction action. The
key bushings and repetition cushions are treated w/McLube 444, and the shank
flanges are pinned at 1-4 grams resistance. They are aiming for a high
upweight, claiming pianist preference and good repetition. I had my doubts.

The pianists had definite feelings about controllability, saying that some
actions felt more manageable. They seemed to favor ones they perceived as
"heavy." While they were playing, I went around measuring things to see if
this was truth or perception. The preference seemed to be related NOT to
weight or inertia, but to voicing! I believe they experienced the ones with a
softer hammer surface as being more controllable, through what I describe as
"tonal resistance." On the darker ones, they had to push just a little harder
to get a soft tone, which helped with control. As a counter-example, imagine
trying to get a soft melodious tone on hammers the tops of which are soaked
with lacquer.

There is more to be argued about on this subject, such as does the lower
friction cause the spring to be set weaker, slowing its return under the
jack, etc.

Incidentally, we were the first to use the new selection room at the factory.
I give it good marks. The room has non-parallel (slanted) walls, and
acoustical ceilings, although it does have a hard floor. We found it to be
just the right amount of non-flattering so that we could hear what the pianos
actually sounded like. For those of you who get to select in this room, the
pianos don't sound the same everywhere in the room, so we moved the finalists
to the same spot.

A previous selection was in a dealer's recital hall, and was so flattering I
actually had them schlep a piano into a carpeted room so the pianists would
hear more of the sound they would hear in their studios.

Bob Davis