Fees - revisited

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 07:42:50 -0400

Working on so many projects that are reletively new tasks for me, I find Joe Garret's and Newton Hunt's labor guides invaluable. They take the worry out of what to charge for a job. Example: your first grand pinblock replacement. Do you charge $50 per hour for the 40+ hours that you will spend screwing it up the first time you try to make one, install it, and drill it (and then try again with a second block on the same piano)? No way! You charge the going rate @ the 12.5 hours in Joe's labor guide. (And you keep replacing it until it comes out properly!)

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Ross" <jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, April 12, 2002 7:06 AM
Subject: Re: Fees - revisited

Could it also be said, that your hourly charge, when you were inexperienced, was too much. Now that you are experienced, it is what it should be. I think Wim's example is too extreme.
When I started, I had an hourly rate. But, if I thought, that I had taken too long, due to my inexperience, I would only charge, for how many hours the job, I thought the job should have taken. This was for shop work, away from the customer.
A flat fee at the customers house, is easier to sell.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia.
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca