Export to US between privates

D.L. Bullock dlbullock@att.net
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 09:18:07 -0700

When importing antique pianos with ivory keys, you are usually at the mercy
of the particular customs agent you get.  Many people have brought old
pianos in from Canada.  Some have been required to physically remove all the
ivory from the keys thereby destroying much of the value or a fine antique.
Some have been  allowed through, since the ivory is obviously very old.
What we have been suggesting is before shipping a piano through US customs,
remove all the white keys and ship them by UPS or FedEx so they will not be
inspected.

D.L. Bullock
www.thepianoworld.com
St. Louis

  -----Original Message-----
  From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Stéphane Collin
  Sent: Saturday, April 13, 2002 4:43 AM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: Export to US between privates

  Hi List.

  I wonder if this is the place for asking this.  If not, please ignore and
receive my apologies.

  In the case a private person from Europe sells a piano to a private person
in US, is there any VAT charged at the customs in US ? Is there another kind
of importing right to pay ?  And how does it work about the ban on ivory ? I
heard that no ivory (even piano key tops) could get into US.  What if the
piano is an antique (more than 100 years old) ? And what kind of document is
sufficient for the customs to prove it is an antique ?

  Many thanks.

  Stéphane Collin
  (Brussels, Belgium)