Unglued Hammerheads (Clamping)

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 14:23:14 -0500

Dan, List,

Thanks to you, Dan, I went shopping and ended up purchasing a Arrow
Electro-Matic Hot Melt Glue Gun 40w, and the Arrow SuperPower Slow Setting,
High Strength Hot Melt Bond Sticks.

Reason: To experiment with the method of reattaching hammer felts that have
come undone from their wood mouldings using these tools.

I have used some of the other methods mentioned on Pianotech, plus some of
my own unorthodox concoctions, and I have never really been completely
satisfied with the results or the appearance, even though they worked.

Just to let you know, I have practiced on some new hammers in my
possession, cutting the felt intentionally away from the moulding, and
regluing. WOW, how simple and effective this approach is to taking care of
those times when hammer felts come unglued from the wood moulding.

For the excess glue that seeps out the sides, absolutely no problem. A
paring knife easily slices that away to leave a near invisible repair.

Looking forward to the next time I run across this repair in the field.

Thank you ever so much again,

Keith

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician