Choosing the pianos

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Sat, 13 Apr 2002 07:34:09 -0400

Friends,

I feel like I am on the verge of this time right now (see statement below).  For the first time in nine months I have no waiting
list, so I have more than enough work and refer some prospective clients to another technician.  At the same time I am finding it
more difficult to have the incentive to keep working on old beaters that are too worn to work well but not worth the expense of
reconditioning, let alone rebuilding.

On the other hand, I remember what it used to be like to run out of money, so I am aware of the plight of young families who
would be glad to replace the piano, if they could see a way to fit it into their budget without cutting into something more
important.  So I keep servicing the piano because the owners want it kept in tune, and of course they pay me to do it.

In subtle ways, though, I am working at eliminating a few of these pianos.  Rather than trying to call when someone is at home, I
leave a message that the tuning is due and it becomes their initiative to get back to me.  If they are home and answer the phone,
I ask if they want the piano tuned, rather than when to schedule the tuning.  That seems like a small difference, but I think it
is a significant one.

And there are a few where I inform them (tactfully, I hope) that in my opinion the piano is not worth spending any more money on.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA, USA