health/medical insurance for techs

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Sat, 13 Apr 2002 07:09:25 -0600

<<Richard,
 One option is The National Association for the Self Employed.
http://www.nase.org/default.asp
My insurance is through them. Every time I check out others, the insurance
company that works with/through them, Med Cost Preferred, still comes up
with the best overall prices. It's still high, but not as high as you
quoted. Their service is quite good and they pay with no quarrels.>>
Gina>>

<<Richard:
Yes it's expensive.  For coverage of my wife and me I'm up to
4-figures a month now.  Medicare is getting closer for me but I'm not
sure how much that will help.
dave>>

    Jeez, I had insurance through them (N.A.S.E.), but the insurance company
was Mega Life, and they just this month jacked the quarterly premium up from
$600 to $800 -- a $200 increase with no warning !!   I was p.o.'ed  and had
to cancel.  Just can't afford that.  And yes, the cost of just major medical
coverage alone is enough to deter one from being self-employed.
    The lowest 4-figure amount is $1000.  That's $12,000 a year, a half to a
third of what some of us make in an entire year!!  No wonder so many
Americans don't have health insurance!
        --David Nereson, RPT, Denver