The Repair Labor Guide

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 14:40:28 -0700

I would like to explain about the Repair Labor Guide. The time(s) listed, to
do specific jobs, is an average of what it would take an experienced, (RPT),
to do the job and what it would take a somewhat experienced, (olde term:
Apprentice), to do the job for the first time, (under supervision, etc.) The
numbers are nothing more than a "Guide" and should not be constued as
"gospel". There are also examples of estimates, etc., in the "RLG".
I compiled it years ago, when I first got a computer and I had several
"Apprentices" and a Time Clock, (EEW! the thought of that!), that kept track
of the jobs we did. Most of the figures are shop related and not
"in-the-field" related.
Over the years we have added to it and are still doing such. I have plans of
expanding it even further, in the near future.
Hope this explains how these numbers came about. Also, to give credit where
it's due, The Repair Labor Guide is based on the efforts of Newton, back in
the 1960's, that was distributed by the Seattle "Home Office". It was also
based on several other efforts of other technicians of that period and by a
lot of input from a lot of Techs that I contacted. (Such things as Replacing
a Soundboard came from Ken Kadwell/Joe Garrett's first attempts, etc.)
Just a little insight for you. Hope this helps.
Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)