aural/electronic tuning and PTG rules

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 16:24:36 EDT

In a message dated 4/16/02 2:51:12 PM Central Daylight Time,
piano@charlesneuman.net writes:

> Is it true that a PTG member is prohibited from saying that "aural tuning"
> is better or worse than "electronic tuning"? I read this in the Potter
> course. It also says that a PTG member can only say something like, "_I_
> tune better when I use an ETD", or "_I_ prefer to tune aurally."
>
> Is that information up to date? If so, what's the reason for that rule?
>
> Charles Neuman
> PTG Assoc, Long Island - Nassau

Charles

Basically, all RPT's are considered equal. No RPT is supposed to claim
superiority over another RPT because the only requirement to become an RPT is
to pass the 3 exams. The PTG does not make any distinction between someone
who passed the exams at 100% or one who passed at 80%. (The same is true in
the any other profession. A doctor passed his residency or not. The grades
he/she got is not a matter of public record). By the same token, there is
also no difference in our testing program between an aural tuner and a tuner
who uses an ETD. Therefore, since there is no difference between the two
methods, RPT's cannot advertise that one is superior to another. In other
words, using an ETD does not guarantee a better tuning, and visa versa. It
all depends on who is tuning the piano. And since RPT's are prohibited from
advertising superiority, so are Associates.

As far as saying, (or advertising) that "I tune better electronically," that
could be interpreted as saying "I tune better because I tune electronically."
And wouldn't that be the same as saying "I am better than someone who doesn't
tune electronically"?  And that, I believe, would be against PTG policy.

Just my opinion

Wim