aural/electronic tuning and PTG rules

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 20:30:58 EDT

In a message dated 4/16/02 7:03:06 PM Central Daylight Time,
piano@charlesneuman.net writes:

> As for the rule, I understand the point of keeping people from creating
> their own levels of superiority, but I think that rule raised some freedom
> of speach issues.

I don't think it is a matter of freedom of speech. I think it is an ethics
matter. Again, using a doctor as an example. I don't think it would be
ethical for a doctor to say he graduated Summa cum laude.

As long as the electronic test is equal to the aural test, we shouldn't be
allowed to differentiate. Another support for this is that it has not been
proven that one is superior to the other. Maybe you are a better tuner
because you use an ETD, but that doesn't necessarily mean you are better than
an aural tuner, or vise a versa. And when you put wording in your advertising
that implies you are a better tuner, then that, I think, is a violation of
our ethics.

Wim