Charging for Pitch Raises

Tue, 16 Apr 2002 20:21:33 -0700

I charge for a set fee for a 1.5 hour service call.  That's more than =
enough time to cover a pitch raise.  If the piano doesn't require it, it =
leaves time to lubricate, check the voicing, or a few regulation items =
perhaps.  If it does need a pitch raise, the better part of the fee will =
be eaten up by tuning alone.  The benefits of servicing the piano more =
frequently, then, are that other areas can be addressed within the basic =
fee.

David Love
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: William R. Monroe=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: April 16, 2002 5:26 PM
  Subject: Charging for Pitch Raises

  I was reading an old essay (PTJ August '90) by Rick Baldassin =
regarding Piano Tuning Stability.  Within that article, Rick writes =
about tuning for a concert and remarks that after a rehearsal, the =
treble was really out.  'Why?  The treble notes were too far out of tune =
to create a stable tuning in one pass on the tuning.'  He stated that =
when he tuned the instrument prior to the rehearsal, the 6th and 7th =
octaves were flat, 'maybe as much as four cents.'

  So, in a nutshell, if your piano is four cents flat, your tuning will =
not be stable (for a concert level tuning). =20

  My questions:
   1.) Really?  Is four cents flat too much to get a stable concert =
tuning?

  2.) For our regular clients, when do we begin charging for a pitch =
raise, 5 cents, 10 cents, 20 cents?  I realize that neither all clients, =
nor their instruments will require this level tuning, but where do we =
draw the line and say we must raise pitch to get a stable tuning?

  I am very interested to hear as many opinions on this one as possible.

  Thank you,

  William R. Monroe
  PTG Associate
  Salt Lake City, UT