Charging for Pitch Raises

William R. Monroe pianowrmonroe@hotmail.com
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 13:12:30 -0600

Clyde wrote:

>>I am sure we are not all going to agree on this issue.  If I admit to =
sometimes doing a one-time pass on an old beater that was up to 27 cents =
flat, as I did yesterday (I left it 5c flat), some will think I don't =
deserve to be called a piano technician.  To be certain, I wasn't very =
happy about doing that, but we've got to remember that it's the client's =
piano, and it's the client's money, so the client is the boss.  <<

Clyde and List,

I guess it is quite clear that there is a lot of room for personal =
choice on this one.  Particularly, do we leave an instrument slightly =
flat?  Sometimes this seems appropriate.  Especially when we service a =
not so good instrument, a client who is not terribly discriminating, a =
client who does not want to pay extra, or any combination of those.

It is difficult for me to leave an instrument with a mediocre tuning, =
yet, I guess I feel that as long as the client is fully aware of the =
need, the various options, and the respective results, we are still =
doing our job.

William R. Monroe
PTG Associate
Salt Lake City, UT