Charging for Pitch Raises

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 07:08:39 -0400

Friends,

Maybe I can help explain, because I do this on occasion.  In this area you can
find pianos that will tolerate being raised from 200 cents flat to 100 cents
flat without a problem, but if you go farther strings start breaking all over
the place.  I think my worst case scenario was twelve torn strings, when it
ewas important to the family to have the piano tuned to pitch.

So this leaves me with a dilemma on these old in-my-opinion nearly worthless
pianos owned by young families with very limited resources.  Do I simply take
a "that's too bad, buddy" attitude and say it's got to be the whole way up to
pitch to please me?  I'm not going to say that is necessarily wrong, but it's
not the way I look at things.

Sometimes it's like cutting off a dog's tail an inch at a time.  But sometimes
it's like having a major operation intended to heal, but instead the patient
dies, whereas a minor operation may have prolonged a life.  (I'm sure there's
a better simile out there somewhere, but hey, I'm just getting going this
morning!)

Regards,
Clyde