Charging for Pitch Raises

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 12:13:12 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Clark A Sprague" <clarks11628@juno.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 18, 2002 8:38 AM
Subject: Re: Charging for Pitch Raises

        However, in the Kimball case,  the customer called back on
Monday, stating that there were 3 notes that were not playing, one of
which sounds like a snare drum.  Is it possible that such an extreme
pitch raise has broken the plate?  I told her that I would in no way
accept responsibility for broken strings or if the plate broke.  It was
playing when I left, and she knows it, as she played it too.  The
offending notes, as she told me, are located right across the bass,
treble break.

Sounds like a broken string.  Metal fatigue, brittleness, whatever ... it's
not your fault that the strings were so old and allowed to settle into a
comfort zone slump over so many years before you began.

Broken plate -- you would know if there was a broken plate problem if the
tuning had suddenly gone haywire flat.

Z! Reinhardt  RPT
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net