advertising

MBailey911@AOL.COM MBailey911@AOL.COM
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 14:02:24 EDT

Mickey Kessler <mickeykes2@uf.znet.com> wrote:

> Has anybody used the PennySaver?  Did it bring you in any business?...

I've tried advertising in a local coupon book that is delivered with a
monthly local newspaper.  I believe I've heard that it may take as many as 7
times before people respond to ads - and frequently have had people say that
they've been seeing the ad for some time, and finally got around to calling,
so I'm sure it's quite true.  My benchmark for evaluating whether or not an
ad was worthwhile is to spend no more than $20 to acquire a new customer -
but allowing for a few repetitions of an ad before deciding whether or not it
worked, and averaging out the $20 thing over a multiple month period.

Now, as for the quality of the pianos, and the likelihood that they haven't
been tuned for 5+ years, that's another story.  While some of the coupon
customers have turned into great repeat business, many are just looking for a
one-time deal.  When I started the ad, I was really trying to build my
business, and although many of these new customers didn't turn into repeat
business, it was better than not having any business at all, and good
training ground for learning to deal with some of those battlefield pianos.

I've also worked hard at developing other sources of new business, including
a relationship with a dealer, and an arrangement to take over customers of
another technician who moved out of town, and yet another to take on some
excess customers of a tuner who is trying to slow things down a bit.  These
sources have been much more rewarding and worthwhile.

I'm happy to say that things have really picked up, and the actual
advertising that I do is pretty minimal these days.  Even at this time of the
year when things have typically slowed down, I'm still managing to stay fully
booked out 2-3 weeks, which would have been unheard of for me just a few
years back.

If asked about whether or not I would do the coupon advertising again, I'd
say definately, especially when first getting started.  It's easy to get
discouraged and think that you're never going to get there.  And somehow, you
have to manage to pay the mortgage.  I think the real key is to try lots of
different things to try to build the business, and little by little, learn
which ones are paying off and worth it.

Best of luck,
Mary Bailey