Mason & Hamlin tour

J Patrick Draine draine@attbi.com
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 17:52:25 -0400

List,
I just wanted to recount (brag about) the tour of Mason & Hamlin's
factory in Haverhill, MA yesterday. The Rhode Island Chapter had
arranged for an afternoon tour, and as I live in the neighborhood (and
neglected to attend the Boston Chapter's March meeting held at M&H) I
tagged along. Eight (or so) RI Chapter members drove 2 hours to get
there.
The tour was led by Bruce Clark, who has been intimately involved with
the development of the Falcone piano in Woburn, MA, and Mason & Hamlin's
revival since the E. Rochester factory closed down and operations moved
to Ivoryton, CT in the early 80's (and eventually made its way to
Haverhill). We began on the first floor, where the pinblocks and rims
are put together. Floor by floor, over 3 hours, we progressed, finally
climbing up to the top floor where several As and BBs were available to
be played and inspected in their completed stage.
Arthur Sacco took detailed notes for the RI newsletter; perhaps he'll
grace us with a copy of his report.
IF you don't immediately drop everything and rush over to Haverhill for
a tour as soon as they can accommodate you, the Boston Chapter will be
hosting the NEECSO conference in 2003 and a Thursday afternoon factory
tour is in our plans for a "pre conference" event.
Patrick Draine
PS One of the cool things you will find in a new Mason & Hamlin:
stainless steel bridge pins!