zither tuning

Jason Kanter jkanter@rollingball.com
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 20:03:33 -0700

>From http://www.zithers.com/Stringing.html

There are two zither stringing formats in use today: Munich and Vienna.
Munich is the most commonly used because it incorporates every note in the
chromatic scale encompassed by the scope of the instrument. The stringing
pattern on the fretboard is like the violin family, a fifth apart. The open
strings are in the circle of fifths, broken between Eb and Ab an laid flat
on the zither, similar to a accordion layout.

 In addition to the basic 29 fretboard, accompaniment and bass strings,
zithers may have 2, 3, 5, 7, 9 or 13 contra bass strings - the full harp
zither has 42 strings (5 fretboard and 37 open strings). In some early
versions, and on perfecta zithers, the contra basses were arranged in the
same circle of fifths as the accompaniment and bass strings. Munich tuning
was often expressed in treble clef (violin key, or similar to guitar clef)
but today is mostly written in bass clef.

Viennese Tuning was/is prevalent in Austria/Hungarian Empire regions (i.e.,
Bohemia, Vienna) and stems from the teachings of Carl J. Umlauf in the
middle 19th Centry, while Munich Tuning generally speaking, stems from the
teachings of Adam Darr and others in Bavaria. Viennese tuning was always
written in bass clef.

 Zithers tuned in the Viennese mode have 38 strings - the addition of the
first accompaniment string of ab-0 and 8 contra bass strings comprise the
total strings. Other differences are the fretboard has a high "g" instead of
two "ašs", strings g-5 and f#-10 are an octave higher, and 5 contra basses
are inserted in the bass strings: Eb-13, F-15, D-18, E-20 and C#-23.
Zitherists working in entertainment settings often utilized the 5 contra
basses, but not other features of the Viennese tuning.

jason kanter * piano tuning * piano teaching
bellevue, wa * 425 562 4127 * cell 425 831 1561
orcas island * 360 376 2799