Mason & Hamlin tour

Duplexdan@AOL.COM Duplexdan@AOL.COM
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 23:15:49 EDT

About the Schimmel triplex,

The few Schimmels I have serviced were in the showroom of a New York Dealer.
I have no other experience with the instrument, so I will aver that I am not
familiar with the new innovation. Therefore I can have no reasonable comment
about it other than a conservative guess that the company may be on one verge
or another. The one could be a breakthrough into using the duplex scale
technology to advance the tone quality of the instrument; the other verge
could be that the company recognizes that The Duplex Scale is a valuable
characteristic and is endeavoring to gain attention by introducing a new idea
without having mastered the old one.

This may not be as far out a supposition as one might think because there are
pianos out there with apparently superficial duplex scales; designs that
incorporate numerous changes in the partial relationship, most of which
appear to be out of tune. These observations are made, however, from the
point of view that the Duplex Scale is supposed to be in tune with the
speaking length, which was CFT Steinway's intention as expressed clearly in
his patent.

Bottom line about the Schimmel is: what does the duplex scale sound like?
Have you tested it? If you have one available I'd be very interested in
knowing what the intervals you find are, on at least one contiguous harmonic
bridge.

Also, if you know of a showroom  in NYC where there is a new Schimmel with
the Triplex, please inform me and I will make a special trip over there to
check it out.

Thanks very much for your input. It's all to the good of our acoustic
instruments, their players, and the listening public.

Dan Franklin, RPT