Peterson tuners, how accurate?

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Sun, 21 Apr 2002 09:59:47 -0400 (EDT)

After reading a little more, I have some more thoughts: It seems you COULD
use something like a Peterson, as long as you'd do the stretching
manually. You could tune in the order you'd tune aurally, with the
machine's help, and use the ETD to help you put the right stretch in by
tuning to the appropirate harmonic. That way you have complete control
over what kind of octaves you're getting.

Alternatively, you could calculate your own tuning curve with a fancy
programmable calculator, based on some manual inharmonicity measurements
that you'd take. I'm curious: Did Al Sanderson publish his algorithm for
calculating the tuning curve based on FAC? Or is that secret info?

I realize that while it seems you CAN do the stretching calculations
manually, the more advanced ETDs save time by doing it for you. But I'm
not convinced that the better ETDs would necessarily do a better job. If
you had the right program running on a fancy programmable calculator or
pocket PC, I think you could end up with just as good a tuning curve. Now
all I have to do is try it...

Charles