tuner's nipple

Brian Lawson lawsonic@bdmail.co.za
Sun, 21 Apr 2002 18:37:30 +0200

wear loose clothing and stand up to tune when possible,
and don't run to the piano :)

Brian

----- Original Message -----
From: "z k" <neeper99@hotmail.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: 21 April, 2002 05:40 PM
Subject: tuner's nipple

Hello!

May I  ask a slightly personal question?

I have come to believe that there may be a condition that
other tuners besides myself may have experienced at one
time or another.

I will call this condition "Tuner's Nipple".  It is a mild
form of "Runners Nipple".
I am not making this up :)
http://www.robrunslondon.co.uk/RunnersNipple.htm

I noticed the nipple on the side of my tuning arm getting
itchy. On close inspection I notice some dryness and
chaffing. I believe this is arising from a busier schedule
than normal for me. When the tuning arm is holding the lever
during the process of tuning a vertical the clothing on that
side of the body is moved up and away from the body. Each
time the lever is manipulated, especially when using the
~jerk~ method, the clothing can rub across the nipple. This
can possibly be the cause of irritation and discomfort.

Has anyone ever experienced this condition? Please reply
privately if you have experienced this and you feel
uncomfortable posting that fact on this list.
Me? I got a quick, anonymous Hotmail account to post this
message.

Neeper99
shy and easily embarrassed

ps: to help alleviate any unsettling visual images this post
may have conjured up, I exercise almost daily and am
relatively buff for someone with such a sedentary job   :)