Charging for Pitch Raises/Speedy Gonzales

Sun, 21 Apr 2002 21:06:44 +0200

Billbrpt@AOL.COM wrote:

> So, my answer to those who offer any criticism or ridicule of the
> concept of Speed & Accuracy is to step aside.  If you are slow and
> like it that way, it's nothing to be ashamed of but it is certainly
> not a goal to promote as somehow being something better.
>
> I think it's high time that excellence and superiority be seen as
> worthy goals in our profession.  This idea that we should all be
> equal, that no one is any better at anything than anyone else is self
> defeating.  No one will achieve excellence and superiority by
> advertising it or bestowing oneself a title, only by making up one's
> mind to be the best that one can be by working at it consistently day
> after day, will it be done.

I dont think anyone has criticised these goals... nor ridiculed them.
There have been offered a few sobering posts which encourage tuners to
also aspire to the goal of keeping speed in its proper perspective
relative to quality... which relates to a persons experience and perhaps
to some degree their basic physical limits.... I fail to see that
pointing out these virtues in anyway detracts from others.

I see no point in insisting that anyone who cant raise pitch
"accurately" (whatever is meant by that in each individuals case) in 12
- 15 minutes is going to slow and thereby implying in no uncertain terms
some inferior characteristic to their work. That is wayyyyy beyond the
concept of embracing ideals of highest possible standards... thats
turning the coin rather inside out and one must ask what then is
actually being ridiculed and for what purpose ?

Fact is that not everyone is capable of that kind of speed, sometimes
not over the long term, sometimes not even sporadically. Many of these
"snail paced" (I think somebody refered to them as) technicians do very
fine work, have a very comfortable income and are valuable resources to
their musical communities.

So fine... speed is great no one has said anything else.... but not at
the expense of doing quality work. One has to learn to walk before one
learns to fly.

> My opinion, no humility implied nor offered.

None taken or assumed :)

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.