Verituner

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 21 Apr 2002 20:59:59 -0400

I have now tuned 40 pianos with my new Verituner. I must say that every one of them has been as good or better than any tuning I had ever done before (given the potential of the piano). The little machine seems to be quite awesome. Those troublesome breaks come out smooth as a baby's bottom!

It's cool to watch, when you are doing the pre-sampling sequence, how it adjusts for the bass section on the small piano. You sample several strings in the plain wire section and it calculates a tuning for the piano with each subsequent note. When you play your first bass note, you can watch as it may target a certain pitch, but after two or three seconds, after it has had a chance to hear the bass note and do a quick calculation, the bass target will change - often quite a few cents. This represents the adjustment the Verituner has made for a bass section that does not follow an ideal tuning curve that a bigger piano might come close to.

I kinda miss those sexy red lights, but I really like my new Verituner - I think it will be a healthier relationship.

Terry Farrell