selling the pitchraise:student's neurology and inappropriate aural reference

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 11:56:45 -0700

At 08:31 AM 4/24/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Some folks get it and some don't.

Some folks have perfect (absolute) pitch and some don't.

You don't honestly believe that _everyone's_ neurology includes a sort of
Bureau of Standards which has set their pitch sense to an eternal A=440?

As someone with relative pitch who can easily tune a piano anywhere "in the
cracks" I don't feel like my nerves have been permanently fuddled by being
exposed to slightly flat instruments, leaving me in a permanent confused
stupor.

Now, pianos which are off-pitch WITH THEMSELVES do cause harm, because
musical interval sizes are learned, in a way that pitch is not (except for
those gifted with absolute pitch.) It's important to set up that pitch
template right in the early years.

Susan Kline