OFF LIST!!!Re: Songwriters, Temperaments (*was: neurology)

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 21:58:47 -0700

At 08:22 PM 4/24/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>OOps!!!!
>
>Another "I clicked on send too soon" experience. I even got the "OFF LIST"
>into the subject line, but
>I didn't check the address.
>
>Apologies
>
>Paul Bailey

<grin> "Errmail", that's called.

An explanation of my personal attitude toward non-equal
temperaments, and the reason for it ---

I started as a string player, made my living at it for
awhile. My intonation was good, and of course I had
worked hard on it for years and years. One gets a taste
for it. In fact, one gets downright attached to it. When
it's good, it feels very good and right, and when it is
bad it feels horrid. All but a very few string players
have more or less bad intonation. Really true intonation
is one of the things which is achieved last in the
learning process.

Now, cello intonation is melodic, not harmonic, and when
I first was studying tuning I couldn't even hear the beats
in a third (for a day or so ...) I just heard that it was
in tune. Nonetheless, when I first heard historical
temperaments (years later), I discovered that during
the cello-studying years I had developed
a very strong taste for what size intervals should be.
The mild Well temperaments and the near-equal temperaments
were easily within my tolerance zone; mean-tone was
DECIDEDLY not. Listening to a very strong-flavored
temperament of Paul's at Diane Hofstetter's, I could hear
that an occasional chord or interval were very sweet ---
but any enjoyment of that was ruined by the great feeling
of "bad intonation" from other ones.

I can understand that people who have not developed their
sense of interval size or intonation as keenly (especially
the general public) could get a great deal from non-equal
temperaments. To me, they just sound out of tune. So, I
leave them for those who are set up to enjoy them.

Susan