No shows: Was Convincing the Client

Gary Mc gmcc@charter.net
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 08:35:51 -0700

I get my share of no-shows, and it really burns me up.  You know, if we were plumbers, we probably wouldn't have this problem.
Generally, I don't call back if I get stood up.
A couple of weeks ago, I had an appointment with a good customer, we arranged the time so his wife could be home.
Well,  I got there, and nobody was home.  It's always a mystery to me, how long to wait.  Usually I wait at least ten minutes, but this time I left after nine minutes.
A few days later I got a call from the guy, who apologized profusely, said his wife was ten minutes late, and hated that I drove all that way for nothing, and would pay for my trip.
We rescheduled, and when I finished tuning the piano, I presented my bill for the regular price, because 1.he's a very regular client 2. I felt guilty leaving after only nine minutes. 3. I had something else to do.
She wrote out a check for double the amount.  I protested (but not very hard), but she insisted.
I left thinking, now there is class.
Gary McCormick