OFF (*was: neurology)To Bradley Snook

Bradley M. Snook bsnook@pacbell.net
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 20:49:13 -0700

Jim, you and I am on the same page! Strings should do exactly as the brass choirs: we should both strive for beatless intervals. It is just we are using slightly different terminology to say the same thing.

Isn't comparing pianos and their peculiarities to other groups irrelevant as far as temperaments go? When mixing the two, the instruments that can tune "on the fly" so to speak, will by necessity match the fixed instruments (i.e. piano).

Well . . . it is not irrelevant, it is actually a big problem. String players have a very difficult time playing in a system of EQT, but we do what we can. It is generally less of a problem for strings to play against something like a well temperament ( . . . it is simply because there are less beating intervals to be concerned with).

Susan K. said no string player would ever play a beatless 3rd except by ineptness ... Is that true?

No, and if she really feels that way . . . well I am just glad that I have not had the pleasure to do a performance with her. You are absolutely correct: sections of a really good orchestra will [strive to] play beatless chords.

Bradley