OFF (*was: neurology)To Bradley Snook

James Baker JamesBakerRPT@carolina.rr.com
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 07:29:57 -0400

It has been my experience as a percussionist in orchestras that most =
string players have a problem with nearly everything.

James ;>)
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Bradley M. Snook=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2002 11:49 PM
  Subject: Re: OFF (*was: neurology)To Bradley Snook

  Jim, you and I am on the same page! Strings should do exactly as the =
brass choirs: we should both strive for beatless intervals. It is just =
we are using slightly different terminology to say the same thing.=20

  Isn't comparing pianos and their peculiarities to other groups =
irrelevant as far as temperaments go? When mixing the two, the =
instruments that can tune "on the fly" so to speak, will by necessity =
match the fixed instruments (i.e. piano).

  Well . . . it is not irrelevant, it is actually a big problem. String =
players have a very difficult time playing in a system of EQT, but we do =
what we can. It is generally less of a problem for strings to play =
against something like a well temperament ( . . . it is simply because =
there are less beating intervals to be concerned with).

  =20
  Susan K. said no string player would ever play a beatless 3rd except =
by ineptness ... Is that true?=20

  No, and if she really feels that way . . . well I am just glad that I =
have not had the pleasure to do a performance with her. You are =
absolutely correct: sections of a really good orchestra will [strive to] =
play beatless chords.=20

  Bradley