Soundboard Installation & MC

Fri, 26 Apr 2002 07:26:50 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Nossaman" <RNossaman@KSCABLE.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: April 25, 2002 8:20 PM
Subject: Re: Soundboard Installation & MC

> The degree to which the rim bevel supports, or depresses crown depends
entirely
> on how much crown there would be without it. In either case, the stiffness
is
> there. I don't think there's any substantial tonal benefit to this levered
up
> false crown, though I do think it gives a false impression of functional
crown
> to the rebuilder when the strings are off, even though there was precious
> little if any measurable crown under string load. For me, that puts it in
the
> negative benefit category.

For me as well.

One additional point you're not mentioning here (but I'm sure you're aware
of) is that the edges--the perimeter--of the soundboard assembly are, by
design, considerably more flexible than the center region. This is
especially true if the manufacturer has deliberately thinned the soundboard
panel around the full perimeter as is the manner of some.

The practice of beveling the rim would be effective if the material the
soundboard is made from were considerably stiffer. As it is once string
bearing is applied to the bridge the whole thing simply bends.

Del