OFF (*was: neurology)

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 08:06:02 -0700

At 06:10 PM 4/25/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Who was the famous conductor who said something to the effect of: " If only
>they (strings?) could play as in tune as the piano...
>
>Best,
>Greg

<grin> Greg, you're probably mis-remembering something I may have written to
the list in the past.

I had just finished Ted Sambell's tuning course in Toronto (back in 1980)
and he'd done me the honor of choosing me to be one of the two apprentices
he took every summer to Banff. We had all just arrived, and there was a
reception the first night. I was very excited, and a little shy. William
Primrose was there! (One of the greats for string players!) He was at the
reception; he had a gin and tonic, and I had a tonic unimproved by gin,
especially since I was not yet adjusted to the high altitude. I gathered
my courage, and asked him if his students had trouble adjusting to equal
temperament when playing with piano. I waited breathlessly for his
response --------

He sighed. "If only they could play as well in tune as the piano!" he
said ...

Susan Kline