Soundboard Installation & MC

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 14:08:49 -0500

>> Hey Dale,
>> Then why the mention of the flying buttress, which isn't exactly an edge
>> clamp?
>> OK though, that's cleared up.

> transfered down our gloriously precrowned rib./board stucture? or is it just
> an almost  negligable  consideration because of the absorption of bearing
> force from  the panel itself? One thing I didn't say was how stiff these
> boards are even when they are being dry fit and pre stressed for bearing.

Either you're not saying what you mean, or I'm dense. Correction - I already
know I'm dense, but what are you saying? Sure the rim supports the soundboard
assembly, regardless of the assembly stiffness, by keeping it and the plate
from falling on the floor. The buttress effect, again regardless of assembly
stiffness, is so inconsequential as to be functionally meaningless. You're
still talking about something like 0.003" rim spread from full crown to flat.
You bend a rim more than that just leaning against it, so there's no way it
will support board crown as a buttressed arch under the bearing loads the board
is subject to. The PSI pressures involved are well beyond the yield point of
the spruce even if you did have an absolutely rigid rim - which you don't.

-=-=-=-=--==-

>    >>>>>>>> This is the false crown measured by piano techs that is mistaken
> for real crown values. 1/8" crown on the logest ribs isn't really crown. As
> you know  this false crown disappears as soon as the board is released from
> the rim bevel.

Exactly the point.

>                      Thanks for the post.

Sure I'm writing it down. I tell you guys everything I think I know. It's in
the archives, and changes some from time to time.

> My tone woods better than yours any day

Oh yea? How about in the evening?

Ron N