keybed not level

Joseph Alkana josephspiano@attbi.com
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 16:04:13 -0700

List,
Today I went back to the "Grand" console to try and re-establish a =
proper dip and proceed with regulation. I came prepared with shims and =
angle iron to reinforce the bottom of the key bed. I took note of =
several things: The keybed was level after all and did not need any =
reinforcing. It was only covering 2/3 of the key front to back, so that =
the back of the key actually went down a la Kimball spinets trying to =
look like consoles.  There was no horn on the plate and proximity  to =
the key bed was about 4 miles away :-)  Why the keys got so low I cannot =
figure out, (nothing loose or moving) but the shims existing under the =
balance rail (no back rail) were kind of loose. I leveled out the rail, =
which brought the dip immediately back to a reasonable working =
tolerance. I proceeded with a fairly course regulation which made the, =
(ahem) piano, perform a whole lot better. The owner agreed that it would =
be a waste of time and money to pursue a more excellent regulation/feel =
at that point. I conveyed a hope that the budding pianists could not =
expect a whole lot more out of this instrument and suggested they start =
saving for a better quality piano soon. Many thanks to those that gave =
me advise and information to approach what could have been a more =
extensive repair.
Joseph Alkana  RPT
josephspiano@attbi.com