Not home

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Sat, 27 Apr 2002 07:38:48 -0400

Tommy and list,

We discussed this some time ago.  I think there must be a big difference in what
is considered okay in different areas of the country.  Some of you will think I
am crazy for going into a home when no one is there.  But it's fairly common
around here for people to just not lock the house that day if they know the
plumber, electrician, piano technician, etc. is going to be showing up.

However, I do take the precaution of ringing the doorbell and calling out "piano
tuner is here!" even if I'm told no one will be home.  Sometimes they've had a
change of plans and someone is home after all.  It's unnerving for me, and
possibly for them as well, to walk in unannounced when someone is home.

That's for repeat calls.  For first-time calls I inform them that I really prefer
they be present, so I can show them why extra work might be necessary, if it is.
At the very least they must be available by phone.  But I make an exception to
even that now and then, as long as we have a very clear understanding in
advance.  (Now please don't go into heart failure, anyone!  <G>  )

Regards,
Clyde