Breaking bass strings

John Musselwhite john@musselwhite.com
Sat, 27 Apr 2002 09:38:27 -0600

At 10:06 AM 27/04/02 +0000, Stephen wrote:

>On some bass notes, putting them 50 cents flat makes them sound better,
>and on other notes pulling them up to 440 often breaks the strings.

They're BASS strings. Don't pull them up that high!

Seriously though, Stephen... If I recall the age of your piano correctly it
was likely designed for A-435 (20 cents flat of 440) anyway and the strings
probably lost all their elasticity a half century ago. You're lucky it
tunes and plays at all at this point.

Tune it 1/4 tone flat and live with it until you can rescale and restring
it if that's your intent. You'll break fewer strings, your pins might hold
better and your piano will be happier even if you aren't.

                 John