harmonica service

John Musselwhite john@musselwhite.com
Sat, 27 Apr 2002 10:21:19 -0600

At 06:16 AM 27/04/02 -0400, Jon wrote:

>At 11:02 PM 4/26/2002 -0500, you wrote:I also
>>wonder, if the cost of service makes it practical, instead of purchasing
>>new??

For interest's sake a really good new professional quality diatonic
harmonica (harp) by Lee Oskar with replaceable parts can be bought for
under $50 from almost any music store. Field service kits are available for
them and many pros use them. Most cheaper harps really aren't worth
servicing other than cleaning. When you get into larger harps and
especially chromatics that's another story since they can sell for hundreds
of dollars.

>In the absence of field repair support, would it be possible to send one
>to the man'f'r for service?

That depends on the harp. I suspect this fellow is dealing with old ones
rather than newer harmonicas. See below for a link though.

>Might it be possible that they also repair other brands if a certain
>company is out of business?

My guess would be no, a factory wouldn't be interested unless it was
something really unusual and unique and even then it might be a challenge.

That being said, typing "harmonica repair" into my browser revealed this
link:
http://www.coast2coastmusic.com/directories/tech_custom/Harmonica_Technician
s_and_Customizers.shtml

There will be someone listed on that page who can help this gentleman.

                 John