Mystery Holes?

Robert Goodale rrg@unlv.edu
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 08:33:57 -0700

Yes those holes belong there.  These screws are intended to anchor the
block down to the little shelves, (called "cornices"), on each side in
the same manor that Steinway uses dowels.  If the screws do not go all
the way through the old block or there were no screws installed at all
then I would strongly suspect a manufacture defect.  Not all grands,
particularly cheap ones have these.  It could also be that someone
replaced this block once before and neglected to reinstall the screws
which would explain why the holes had threads but no screws.

Rob  Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV