Soundboard Installation & MC

Sun, 28 Apr 2002 23:20:08 +0200

Hmm...

Robin, Del and Ron all lining up on basically same side on this issue... thats
weighty in itself me thinks.

So you all are saying then that this is basically a marketing thing, does not serve
in any sense as an aid in retaining crown (in the sense of a buttressed arch), and
you all are non commital (so far) as to what usefull purpose so called torson
resonater has.

Ok... but if its just a marketing device and nothing else, then one would have to
justify this in terms of cost effectiveness from the manufacturers point of view.
Thats where I get into difficulty.

Course not knowing just how much it costs to keep installing these per unit doesnt
make it any easier to resolve.... still it must cost at least the price of the parts
in to the factory, and the amount of time it takes to install and "adjust" the
tension on these. Anyone got a fair guess as to a ball park figure for that ?...
One has to wonder what kind of a figure it takes to render the device non-feasable
as a purely marketing tool.

No.... Dels arguments are very convincing to be sure.... so convincing that one is
simply left to wonder why on earth M&H continues... Perhaps Robin hit it on the nose
below ??  But is it really possible for a piano maker of M&H' reputation to be so
reliant on this kind of a marketing tactic to survive ??

As long as these things dont add up, I keep getting this nagging itch in my butt
that something is being overlooked I guess.

RicB

Robin Hufford wrote:

> Del,
>      What do you suggest the torsion resonator does, in fact, do?     I can
> understand M&H continuing to use the device as it seems an integral part of the
> concept of a  Mason & Hamlin, and it would, indeed, be foolhardy to forsake it,
> particularly when it is hard enough already to sell enough of the instruments,
> given the realities of the market of today.   However, I am not able to see much
> it can be technically useful for in reality, and I agree, as far as I can see,
> that it is not significant in forming or maintaining crown.

snip snip

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.