This week's encounters with Well Temperament

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 21:46:12 -0400

This week I tuned a B for a customer who prefers her piano slightly out of
tune.
I tuned the Moore Well temperament, she flipped and wants to try something
stronger
next time. She was never satisfied with ET saying that it was too 'white'.
The piano
now has the warm glow she has been yearning for.   Then she asked why I
have been
holding out on her for all these years...ETD, I explained.

Also there was a choral concert this weekend. The director came by my shop
a few
weeks ago to preview a BB to see if it would be sufficient or rent a
D.  The BB was tuned in
a Moore WT, she loved it and wanted it for the performance.  About 100
voices, small
orchestra and a WT...what a nice combination, the piano sounded so warm and
full.
The pianist and composer of the second half, Paul Halley, liked the sound
as well.
Stirring music enhanced with a well tempered piano.

The keyboardist  <g> who filled in as harp, xylophone and church organ
liked it too and wants
me to put it on his Steinway at home and his chamber music series next summer.

The gate's open now...

To segue into another thread...  I was scheduled to tune the piano for this
concert yesterday
afternoon, promptly at noon. The janitor never showed up, so I had one hour
to touchup
the piano before the evening performance.  The concert was so nice I
brought my wife to
the afternoon performance today.

The more I listen to HT's, the more ET sounds like a sterile whitewash on
music.
More and more professional musicians are requesting HT's, like it or not.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@attbi.com