C Fork does not equal 440cps

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 01:02:38 EDT

In a message dated 4/28/02 11:53:38 PM Central Daylight Time,
roy.peters@mindspring.com (Roy Peters) writes:

> I have a question regarding David's statement that a small piano will
> set up with narrower octaves, and that a larger piano will accomodate
> more stretch.  I have heard this many times.  Why?  Don't smaller pianos
> normally have more  inharmonicity?  Doesn't more inharmonicity require
> more stretch?   .

 A piano of any size can have low, moderate or high Inharmonicity depending
on its scale design.  They can't be generalized.  However, a small piano is
often used in a smaller room and a large piano in a large room.  The amount
of stretch used will affect how the piano carries in the room.

Higher Inharmonicity usually does mean greater stretch is appropriate but any
piano's tuning can be manipulated to achieve a desired effect.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin