C Fork does not equal 440cps

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 02:01:44 -0600

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Patrick Greene=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2002 11:57 AM
  Subject: Re: C Fork does not equal 440cps

  I guess my question is:  How difficult is it to learn to use the A =
temperament?  I apprenticed under a guy who felt that the C temp was =
more forgiving than the A temp.  I think he was going to teach me the A =
temperament, but he never got around to it and I was too ignorant to =
remind him.  The upshot is that now that is all I use.  I have yet to =
tune for anyone other than churches and private individuals. =20
        There's really no such thing as "the A temperament", or  "the"  =
F or C temperament.  Common practice among most tuners is to set an =
equal temperament.  What differs among various tuners is the starting =
note and the sequence used.  The higher up in the scale the temperament, =
the faster the intervals beat, though, so if it's hard for you to hear =
or "count" the speed of the faster intervals, you might want to set a =
temperament lower down at first, like from C3 to C4 or from F3 to F4.  =
The C to C sequence usually starts with a C Fork, but the F to F or the =
A to A sequences usually use an A fork.
        But one sequence isn't really "harder" or more forgiving than =
another -- just located higher or lower in the piano's register.
        I use the term "sequence" because you're not really setting =
different temperaments unless you're intentionally tuning equal =
temperament on some pianos, well temperament on others, mean-tone on =
others, etc.   =20
        You could take the temperament sequence you already know, move =
it up or down the keyboard, and still set a temperament BUT the beat =
speeds of the thirds, sixths, fourths, etc. would be faster or slower.  =
The three contiguous Major 3rds  C3 - E3, E3 - G#3, G#3 - C4 have beat =
speeds of about 5, 7, and 9 bps, respectively, whereas the three =
contiguous Major 3rds F3 - A3, A3 - C#4, C#4 - F4 beat at about 7, 9, =
and 11 or 12 bps, respectively.  The 4ths beat ever so slightly faster =
and the 5ths almost the same.  (Not splitting hairs here, you =
tenth-of-a-centers reading this).   --David Nereson, RPT, Denver =20
       =20