C fork/A fork

Tony Caught caute@optusnet.com.au
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 20:01:19 +0930

Hi Bill,

Guess I'm in one of my moods to answer some of this garb......

When you tune by ear, do you set an octave note on the exact beat, on =
the slight rise of the beat or on a slight fall of the beat.  Personally =
I like it on the slight rise, you know, about .01 of a cycle sharp, that =
is around C5 of course. Mind you, you have to think about the other =
aspect of tuning that doesn't seem to get much of a mention. Had =
something to do with perception. but then again how do you measure =
something that you perceive.?

Regards,

Tony Caught
Darwin
Australia
caute@optusnet.com.au

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Billbrpt@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, April 29, 2002 4:51 AM
  Subject: Re: C fork/A fork

  In a message dated 4/27/02 6:57:28 PM Central Daylight Time, =
joegarrett@earthlink.net (Joseph Garrett) writes:=20

    Close only counts in Horseshoes, Hand Grenades and H Bombs. If we =
espouse=20
    tuning to A=3D440 then, shouldn't we use an A Fork? Granted the =
difference is=20
    minimal, but a difference non the less.=20

  Yes, but Joe, the difference would never matter under ideal =
circumstances by a skilled technician.  By Al Sanderson's figure of .02 =
cents, it could not be perceived aurally.  Bill Garlick proved this time =
and again in his classes.=20

  What would make a difference would be the fork's sensitivity to =
temperature.  Some forks vary wildly, others a cent or two.=20

  The other assumption being made is that anyone who uses a fork to tune =
aurally will produce a perfect ET.  If you know me, you know that I =
don't believe it is really true most of the time.  So, if anything, this =
would be the argument for using an "A" fork over the "C".=20

  I actually do agree that an "A" fork which is properly calibrated and =
reliable should be used rather than a "C" but having said that, the =
people who are experienced and more comfortable using the "C" fork and =
the temperament sequence that goes with it will produce results =
indistinguishable from the other method.  This has been proven enough =
times that the PTG Tuning Exam permits the use of either pitch source.  =
Whatever difference there may be falls far short of the very tight =
tolerances in the pitch and temperament portions of the exam.=20

  It is those whose temperament varies by either design or default who =
will produce an A4 which is off the mark by using a "C" fork.  The =
standard for pitch is A4 at 440.  C5 at 523.3 is merely the *theoretical =
equivilant*.  Some time ago, there were those who were saying that a =
temperament could still be considered "equal" with 2 or even 3 cent =
tolerances for each note.  Those are loose enough standards to produce =
an 18th Century style Well-Tempered tuning or even 1/7 Comma Meantone. =
Using that kind of loose standard and a "C" fork would most certainly =
produce an A4 which would be unacceptably off pitch.=20

  Bill Bremmer RPT=20
  Madison, Wisconsin=20
  Click here: -=3Dw w w . b i l l b r e m m e r . c o m =3D-=20

  ---