This week's encounters with Well Temperament

Jon Page jonpage2001@attbi.com
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 09:15:22 -0400

At 02:37 AM 4/29/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>      Same here -- Every time I've mentioned HTs to piano teachers,
> they've never heard of it.  A few younger musicians I know have
> electronic keyboards that enable other than ET tuning, and they at least
> know what a different temperament is.  But I have yet to have anyone
> request other than ET.  Others I mention it to will say something like,
> "Hasn't everything been equal temperament since Bach's Equal-tempered
> clavichord?" (or similarly ignorant response).  And the very few educated
> people who are aware of HTs also seem to think that one can play only in
> a few closely related keys or that one can't wander too far from I - IV -
> V chord progressions.  --David Nereson, RPT, Denver

As my customer with the S&S B stated after this epiphany, "Bach didn't
write the 'Equal Tempered Klavier' ".

Imagine the morale in a cafeteria if they were served up the same meal
every day, spoon feeding the line that this
is the best food for you and all those others are not good and we know
best. Would their customers return day after day?

What if someone wanted softer hammers on their piano and you refused saying
that only hard hammers make the piano sound
as it should or vise versa.  How about a dealership only offering black
pianos because he vehemently believes wood finish
pianos are an abomination.

There is nothing wrong with an industry standard but when it becomes a
dictate it erodes an individual's free will.
Variety is the spice of life.  A temperament is just a temperament; a tool
to be used. It is not a political or religious
ideology to be defended with zealous fervor.

Before I purchased an ETD, I was too lazy to learn a new temperament
scheme. I did rather well in my aural efforts
but with the introduction of the ETD the whole operation became easier and
it broadened my horizon. I suppose there are some
people who buy a computer and only play solitaire on it. If you have an ETD
and don't try and HT, you are not realizing the
full potential of the machine or yourself.

Believe it or not, most pianos sound better in something other than ET.
This is not just my opinion but include Julliard graduates
(real musicians), they prefer the sound of their grand pianos in WT not
ET.   I did a test: a spinet, console and studio up in my
shop; all in ET and sounded edgy and harsh. I retuned them in a WT and they
became sonorous and quite pleasing.

Selection of temperament is important, a mild WT gets them to dip their toe
in the water before wading in deeper if they want to.
It's their piano, their choice of temperament. It's my job to help them
find the one which suits them.

As with parts selection, I will use appropriate materials to achieve their
desires. If the tone or touch are not liked, options are offered
and discussed, alterations are made.  Just as learning voicing or altering
touchweight expanded my abilities, multiple temperament
capabilities adds to my versatility.

So whether it's tuning or servicing, I want to be able to offer solutions
and when it strikes such a chord when the piano is
magically transformed I become their hero.  I can correlate the
introduction of a WT with changing leverage on an action:
the customer wonders why it wasn't like that from the factory or why no
other technician was able to produce these results.
A quote from the good ole days come to mind, "If your not part of the
solution, you're part of the problem".

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.