Temperaments

D.L. Bullock dlbullock@att.net
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 17:55:39 -0700

I have seen much discussion of various temperaments.  However, to those who
are lurkers, or novices, or apprentices, more clarity would be in order.
When referring to different temperaments please say clearly what temperament
you are discussing.  I have dealt with these temperaments for the last
thirty years, but I am still somewhat confused about what exact temperament
is being discussed from time to time.  If we have time to read all the posts
on this list we can surely take the time to clarify and spell out what we
are talking about.

WT- I am guessing is Werkmeister Temperament, however there are several
Werkmeister temperaments that may be discussed.
HT- Historical temperament?  Again there are many more than several and this
overly general term covers most of the others mentioned here.
KT- Kernberger Temperament?  There are several of these.  My personal
favorite is Kernberger III but it may not be your cup of tea.
MT- Mean Tone once again several were used
ET- Extra-Terrestrial from the movie of the same name? or Equal temperament.
Are there several of these, I do not know of more than one, but I have been
wrong before.

Let us all spell out our favorite temperament when we discuss it, please.
Abbreviations, may make us feel like we are in the know, but some may think
us merely pretentious.

Thanks

D.L. Bullock
www.thepianoworld.com